It’s estimated that 37.9 million US adults will need dentures in 2020, according to research in The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. That’s a lot of people – and a lot of dentures!
You’re probably thinking, “this doesn’t apply to me. Dentures are for other people.” You aren’t alone in thinking that.
In fact, almost 60% of survey takers in a Prevention.com survey said that they don’t expect they’ll need dentures ever because they take good care of their teeth. While taking good care of your teeth now is an excellent way to prevent complications further down the road, it’s not always a guarantee.
Thankfully, modern dentistry has brought dentures into the 21st century, making them more realistic, easier to wear, and less noticeable. Today, many people choose dentures over other alternatives and end up being very happy with their decision.
Reasons You May Need Dentures
There are many different reasons one could need dentures, now or later on in life. While there are certain unavoidable concerns that can contribute to the need for dentures, there are a few common factors that could point to a future need for dentures, including:
- Chronic toothaches
- Red, swollen, tender or bleeding gums
- Infrequent visits to your dentist (2 per/year is the recommendation)
- Gaps between teeth
- Loose or shifting teeth
- One or more missing teeth
The Pros of Getting Dentures
There are many wonderful reasons to get dentures, including:
- They are an aesthetically pleasing way to restore full rows of teeth
- They prevent the natural sagging that can occur with tooth loss (free facelift – who doesn’t love that benefit!)
- They can be placed in any situation – even if your teeth or jaw are in bad shape
- They are super easy to maintain. Temporary dentures can be cleaned in or out of the mouth and usually only require a quick rinse after eating
- They bring back confidence in your smile
Wondering if Dentures are Right for You?
Come visit us! Dentures from Loudoun Smile Center offer a comfortable, natural-looking, and cost-effective way to restore your smile. Our team will be able to assess your unique needs and provide an individualized plan of action. We are here to answer any questions you may have and help you achieve a flawless smile that you’ll be proud to show-off.